Church and chapel ruins

St Mary's Church

The only Norman Church in Norfolk to be built with side aisles, it was clearly intended to be on a grand scale.  It stands proudly overlooking the village and can be seen for many miles around.  As is so often the case, the Parish Church is left as by far the oldest building in the village.  It continues to welcome visitors every day from dawn until dusk.    

There is an active fundraising committee who organise a variety of events to contribute to the upkeep, mission and work of the church in the parish 

www.heartofnorfolkchurches.org.uk

 

 

Following the invasion of 1066, the Bishops moved to a more significant centre at Thetford in 1071.  However, that location was short-lived as they moved again in 1095 to the present site of the Anglican Cathedral in Norwich.

The Bishops kept North Elmham as a country-seat and built their private Chapel over where the timber Cathedral had stood.  It is the remains of this Chapel (complete with helpful information boards) that is open for you to see for free every day through daylight hours.