St Mary's Parish Church

CHURCH OF ENGLAND – St Mary the Virgin, Holt Road 

St Mary dates back 900 years to when it replaced the neighbouring Anglo-Saxon Cathedral as a place of worship, the Cathedral being transferred to Thetford in 1071 and from thence to Norwich in 1095 (where it continues to thrive today). 

The ruins you can see now on the adjacent site are those of a Norman chapel built by the Bishops of Norwich.  They are managed by English Heritage and are open daily free-of-charge from dawn to dusk with level access.

Highlights of the parish church are the painted 15th century rood screen, late medieval pew ends, impressive wood carving on the 17th century pulpit and a recently restored 1622 communion table. 

Recently, a medieval wall painting has been discovered and has been partially restored.  The imposing Tower has 8 bells and attracts groups of campanologists. 

The South Porch is unlocked during daylight hours; there is a ramp available for wheelchair users.    

Access

The village is at the cross-roads of the East to West B1145 Roman road with the B1110 going North to South.  A population of over 2000 and a parish taking in some outlying communities like County School and Broom Green make it one of the largest villages in the county.  It is literally only a mile or two from the geographical centre of Norfolk.  The Church is at the North end of the village on the B1110 going towards Guist. The Church is normally unlocked during daylight hours.

Contact

The rector is Revd Sally Kimmis at 48 Holt Road, North Elmham who can be contacted by email at heartofnorfolkchurches@gmail.com or by phone on 668850

The Churchwarden is Susanna Wade-Martins who can be contacted by email at scwmartins@btinternet.com or by phone on 668435

For further information on people to contact, forthcoming services and events please visit www.heartofnorfolkchurches.org.uk